Friday, February 24, 2012

Lisa Brandel's Scratchboard Adventure


"I found this micro photography picture of a beetles leg....I thought it was beautiful, and thought about painting an abstract of it. Instead, I decided to learn a new artistic skill...Scratch board. It's something I can do while I watch TV." Lisa Brandel described the discovery of what she calls an adventure.


Scratchboard or scraperboard is a technique where drawings are created using sharp knives and tools for etching into a thin layer of white China clay that is coated with black India ink. Scratchboard can also be made with several layers of multi-colored clay, so the pressure exerted on the instrument used determines the color that is revealed. Scratchboard can be used to yield highly detailed, precise and even textured artwork. (Wikipedia)

   Here's how the above art work evolve as described by Lisa...

I am crap for actually drawing, but so far this feels like I think sculpting might feel

The lite white is the crappy little white pencil sketch to give me and idea of placement, spacing ect...I love this so far, a lot of fun and easy to do while I sit on my bum at night watching the tube.

  The artist new found endeavor is still on its exploration stage...so we will have to wait for upcoming creation from Brandel. In the meantime, to those interested in discovering more about this art...I did a little research and found this video that might help...


2 comments:

Widow_Lady302 said...

VERY COOL!!! I hope this inspires people to try this little art project....and I would welcome anyone as a friend on FB to enjoy their art as well! *huggles*

Anonymous said...

Nice post, your site is great I like it.

MESSAGE BOX